Studio Time

Back in August I stepped out of my comfort zone and participated in and won a vocal contest. One of the prizes from this contest was two hours in a state of the art recording studio. Well, today I went in for a recording session to redeem that prize and it was awesome! The studio is in lovely Lindon, UT, about 45 minutes away from where I live and it is called the "The Castle" and it is really nice! I was greeted by Rick Priddis the owner and he showed me into the studio where I met my "producer" Miles Fulwider. I explained to Miles that I hadn't done much recording so any help he could give me would be appreciated!

For the next two hours we recorded 7 songs and it was hard work, but also a blast at the same time. I can see why recording artists love their jobs! We did 2 or 3 (on one song 4) takes of a song and then we would listen back and would talk about any tweaks or producing styles that would be applied to that particular piece. This time around I recorded songs my family loves and I plan on giving them out as Christmas gifts to my family and close friends.

This whole experience got me stoked about writing songs and getting into the studio again to do some original stuff or covers with me actually playing the guitar or being accompanied by live musicians. Wouldn't that be the bomb?! It has been a couple years since I picked up the guitar seriously, but I just want to get to work and get back in that studio. So cool!

Here I am in the studio singing.

And here I am with Miles after my session.

It took a lot of vocal stamina to get through the session. I basically sang with maybe one break for two hours straight. But my voice felt great! I was tired but I didn't lose it and I was able to sing challenging stuff until the very end. Again, I attribute this to SLS and knowing what I need to do as a vocalist to sing balanced. At one point during the session my chest voice was breathy and not as vibrant as it usually is. That is when I took my break and did some vocal exercises that helped me get back into my chest. I thought maybe what caused that was me singing near my first register and into the mix with a higher larynx. That isn't the ideal. SO doing some exercises that help get that larynx down made a world of difference.

Now that we have laid down the tracks, Miles is going to do his magic and produce what we recorded. He had some great ideas to stylize some of the songs. Once he is done he will send me an MP3 of the final cuts and I will give any feedback on what I want changed. Once I am happy with the final cut he will send me a master disk and from that I can make copies for Christmas Presents! This will be fun! I am not going to give away what songs I recorded but I will say, I didn't record any Christmas songs. haha

Comments

  1. Well it sounds like you had lots of fun at the studio. It would be fun to here it sometime. It sounds like life is good. We hope you, Roger & the kids have a great Thanksgoiving. Regards, Warren & Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I recorded in a studio once (a bunch of silly songs with my sisters) and it was such a good time. I've always wanted to do it again. I hope I get a chance to hear the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the Motörhead cover! ;-)

    ~Jeb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear what you recorded. So I've been captivated by your blog and checking out what you've been up to. I should say blog(s).

    I remember the singing issues you went through during the two show at SGMT. It really frustrated you. For the record I never judged you by your "imperfections". To me you were a huge inspiration and I looked up to you in such a big way. Being an 18 year old at the time, it was a big deal for me to have someone like you, an adult with tons a talent, in my life to look up to. Thank you for your perseverance in those two shows, humility, sweetness and love. I still remember the auditions for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and us talking together. I had NO IDEA who I was talking to at the time, if I had I probably wouldn't have had the guts to talk to you.

    I am in awe by what you have accomplished since 2007. The work you put into your vocal recital definitely showed. From the videos that I watched, you were nailing those songs! Back to front. Great job. Being a vocalist myself I can definitely say that you have an amazing instrument and talent. You are harnessing your voice to do amazing things.

    I think it's awesome that you blog, by the way. It's something I've always wanted to love, but have not gotten the hang of it. :)

    Love ya!
    Serene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment