Elsa Understudy

I am currently understudying my friend Jan out at Tuacahn. In my entire theater career, which started, dare I say it, 26 years ago; I have never been an understudy. I am one of the lucky ones, I have four guaranteed performances. Some actors prepare and never get the chance to go on, so I feel blessed to have the opportunity. I see it as a chance to show the casting directors what I am capable of; it is like another audition for future roles with this particular company. So, as an understudy you go to as many rehearsals as you can and watch the actor that has been cast rehearse. You learn the lines, songs and blocking mostly by observation. Then once the show is open you get a chance to get up on your feet and participate in understudy rehearsals where you run the scenes with the other understudies. So, my first performance was so surreal. I had never actually worked in the costumes or played the scenes with the actors in the show. Nor had I done certain aspects of the blocking, because I am also in the show and could never watch the scenes I was actually in. (All the ingredients for an “actor’s nightmare”) I had gone in a couple days before and tried on all the costumes. I was close to the same size as Jan; the most obvious differences were her height and shoe size so I borrowed some shoes from my niece that were similar to the ones Jan wears in the show but smaller and taller. I am asked if I want to be in the “Equity Dressing Room”, that means the smaller dressing room where the professional actresses who belong to the actor’s union reside. I declined feeling more comfortable being with my friends in the women's dressing room. I got into the nun costume for the first scene and sat out in the hallway listening to my lines on my recorder. Tim, the actor playing Capt. Von Trapp walks up and sees on the near by callboard that I will be playing Elsa that night. Here is an actor who has been playing the part for a month now and things are starting to grow stale and he just smiles from ear to ear; someone new and different to make his night more interesting. I do the first scene as a nun and then go to get out of costume. I hear a knock on the door and it is Matt, my own personal dresser and wig master for the evening. I feel so spoiled!! He gets me dressed and pins the dress up where it is needed. Does my wig and consults me on my make-up. I hear that my cue is coming up and I quickly take a picture to capture the moment. I see friends in the hallway who wish me well and I am off to jump into the fire! Tim and James, who plays Max, are there in the wings to greet me. Both of these gentlemen will be my main cohorts for the evening. Tim can tell I am nervous and he firmly holds my hand and talks about our motivation for the scene. I start to get excited. I know the lines, and I know that if I forget the blocking someone will push me in the right direction. All I have to do is be Elsa and just listen and react to my fellow actor’s. We walk out on stage and here I am!! The lights come up and we play the scene... I don’t remember anything about the performance. I know I had a tendency to giggle too much (my own nervous laugh) and I think she came across as too nice. But I make it through and I felt simply divine! Roger was there and he gave me some pointers on how to make her come across as more ambitious, and uncomfortable around the children. The second time I went on I was much more relaxed and to my horror I went up on one of the first lines!! But James and Tim were delighted, anything to make their “dull” show more exciting. They both were and are remarkable to be on stage with. I am in good hands and they make me look good! So, I have two more opportunities to play Elsa and I just can’t wait! The whole thing has been one amazing acting exercise. With very little rehearsal you have to be focused and completely in character. You must trust and rely quite a bit on those around you. I have learned not to “plan” anything, just be Elsa and be in the moment. Man, I love the theater!

Comments