An Interview Moment

My friend Holli had an ‘Interview Moment’ posted on her blog. She wrote up some customized questions for me. Such a fun idea!! And now, for my Interview... 

1. As an accomplished actor and musician, what has been your favorite character to play? Why? And when did you perform the part? My favorite role was Lucy/Beggar Woman in Sweeney Todd. I usually get cast as the ingenue or the 'girl next door'. The director was awesome (thanks Kevin) and took a chance on me in a character role. She was one of the most extreme characters, dirty, aged and crazy, but with a tragic past. I used my grandmother, Irma, as a character study. At the time granny was suffering from Alzheimer’s and only had glimpses of coherent thoughts. She loved to sing and I took her grit and childlike innocence to create Lucy. The music of Sondheim is so amazing and it was a pleasure to be a part of such a masterpiece of a show. I played the part when I was in college, 1993?, I think. 

2. You've got a lot going on; raising three children, renovating your home, and fulfilling responsibilities to your church. What is your favorite way to spend free time? I love to either read, sing or write. And fortunately I have learned to take a little time for myself each day. I used to think it was selfish, but now I know it is necessary! 

3. You are the youngest of eleven children. In your opinion, are their perks to being the baby? Drawbacks? I am adored by my siblings and can do no wrong! I am very spoiled with their attention and love. Even now as an adult, not much has changed. The drawbacks are that I don’t get told much of the problems or issues that go on our family or in their personal lives. Even though I am older, my family still seems to protect me from bad news, I am usually the last know things. I want to be more “in the know” because I feel like I could really help out and be of service to my family. 

4. If you could travel anywhere, with anyone (all expenses paid) where would you go and who would you go with? This is an easy one, I would go to London, England with Roger and see all the theater I could possibly see!! 

5. You are a movie buff extraordinaire with an eclectic taste for film. What is your all-time, hands-down, favorite movie? I know picking one is probably impossible -- but you must. Yes, that is pretty tough, I love so many movies for different reasons. And there are so many good ones out there!! Hmmm, I guess I will say, Singing in the Rain. It is my ultimate feel good movie and I never tire of it. It continues to make me laugh and I am in awe of the talent in that film. Gene Kelly…it just doesn’t get any better…unless your husband plays his role on stage then WOW! What can I say? 

Thanks for those questions Holli!!

Comments