Opening Night Thoughts...

 Last night we opened the show, Annie Get Your Gun and what a wonderful opening it was! We opened on a Monday so I was well rested and after having a good preview audience on Saturday afternoon, I was ready to perform for our opening night crowd.

I had many friends and family members attend namely, Roger and our three children, my dad and step-mom Janine, my sister Franci, her husband John and daughter Trina, my ex-brother-in-law Scott (who is still very much a part of our family), and friends Travis and Whitney Cox, Aleisha Kenworthy Black and of course most of my SGMT family, the Kenworthys, the Bennetts...you get the picture, lots of love in the house!I got to the theater to find a sweet card from my co-star Brodie Perry, a card and treats from our director, Kerry Perry and then some roses arrived and I honestly thought they were from my dad, because Roger usually doesn't do flowers (which I am fine with) but they were from my man himself! He totally surprised me and I was so happy and deeply touched that he would do something so romantic. The card read, "You shoot me in the heart! Love Roger" I know that may sound corny, but I was smitten all over again and gave him a quick phone call. :)The local TV station, KCSG, was there and I did an interview and they filmed me putting on my wig for my first costume and warming up. There was excitement in the air!! We had our cast meeting led by our talented and super organized director (such a pleasure to work with, love you Kerry!). Brooke Bang, who plays Dolly and is my awesome understudy, gave a thought on "Team Work" and gave a word of prayer. I waited in the wings for my first entrance...I always say a little prayer before with gratitude in my heart that I can still do what I love and perform on stage at this time in my life and play a role that is so amazing and legendary. I pray that Heavenly Father will bless my mind that it will be sharp and alert and ready for anything that can happen in live theater. I also ask for a blessing on my singing voice that I will remember all that I have rehearsed and that I will be a smart singer in such a vocally demanding role. Then came my entrance...and off I went! I had forgotten how funny the show was because the only people that had watched it for the past couple months were cast members and the crew and they get used to the lines after a while and don't respond like they did at first. I kept having to hold for laughs and it was fun. I felt very confident and really got into it. It is such a pleasure to work off of talented actors like Brooke Bang, Mike Behunin, Rick Pickett, Steve Campbell, Aaron Reep and of course the incomparable Brodie Perry. Our scenes together are just a blast and every night there is something just a bit different because we are in the moment and having fun reacting off one another. It is also a privilege to sing with one of the best voices I have ever heard in my life. Two of the highlights for me are harmonizing with him in They Say It's Wonderful and of course performing the show stopping number Anything You Can Do. If you ever get a chance to work with Brodie Perry, DO IT!My costume changes are insane and I am always moving!! On stage - ENERGY! Off Stage - ENERGY! Hurry and get the dirt off my face and hands, quick get the skirt on, the boots on the earrings on the lipstick, the blush, now for the hair, pin spray, un-pin, spray....CRAZY! At intermission the stage manager is calling places and I am still trying to get into costume and fix my hair that is all over the place by now because of the hats that I wear..."I am coming"! I shout. I make it just in time for my entrance and the Second Act goes the same as the first, no rest for this lady...but with all the huffing puffing and buttoning, spraying and rouging...I am at the top of my game and just so happy to be a part of a show so uplifting and endearing. Every minute is worth it and with only 15 more shows (that I will perform, my understudy does the 3 matinees) to go, I have to make the most of it. I am honestly not sure when I will be able to perform again in this capacity. I think my firesides will take off. I have two lined up, one in Aug. and one in Sept. Once word gets out about me doing them I am sure I will be doing them on a regular basis, like once a month or twice. I love my vocal lessons and plan on continuing those with full force and doing concerts and cabarets. But as my children get older, their lives will start to take over mine more, with their extra curricular activities. I will have less and less time for doing the theater myself. And I am okay with that, my family is more important and I want them to have all the experiences I had as a kid pursuing my interests. SO, this show, as far as I can see it right now, may be my last one for a long time. It is a great one to end on, and with that in mind I just want to enjoy every moment and not take it for granted!

Comments