A Christmas Story

 

A couple weeks ago Roger, Max and I were cast in the Christmas classic, A Christmas Story. Obviously this is the stage production based on the movie and from the buzz already going around town, it is sure to be a hit. Who doesn't love this movie? It is my favorite Christmas movie to watch every year. It makes me giggle and I love to giggle. And the play is just delightful! It is fun material to work with.
I have held off writing about this in my blog because we were waiting on the status of another family member being in the play...Ivy...
You see, Roger will be playing "the old man"...I am playing Miss Shields...Max is playing Flick...and Ivy was cast as Randy, Ralphie's younger brother.

There were a few other boys that tried out for Randy, but this role is tricky because it is to be played by a 6 year old boy, or someone who looks 6. The boys who tried out were either too hyper and not focused enough to handle being on stage or they were too shy and inhibited. The director saw Ivy come with us to rehearsals and noticed how well behaved she is and of course how darling and expressive she is. He asked if she would audition. She did very well, a natural (go figure) and because she has grown up seeing Roger and I perform and has sat through many a rehearsal, she "gets it". So even though she is only 5 and a girl, she ended up getting the part. We first decided to just have Max audition. We always thought he looked like Ralphie in the movie and thought it would be fun for him. He is enrolled right now in a theater class, Kidz on Stage, and is playing the Mad Hatter and a Royal Card in their production of Alice in Wonderland. That show will actually open after A Christmas Story, but they workshop the kids and teach them the ins and outs of performing on stage. He LOVES it. So, Roger thought it would be fun for him to be in this community production. Then WE got the idea to try out for the mom and dad. As it ended up Max and I got different parts than we originally hoped for, but everything fell in to place as it should. I am having a blast as Miss Shields and because it is a smaller role I will have less stress during the holidays. I am all for that! And Max was thrilled when he found out he was the boy who got his tongue stuck on the pole. This will be most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of us to do a show together like this. Chester is fine with us doing the play. He will probably come and hang with us backstage and I am sure he will enjoy that. He really expresses no interest in performing on stage...at least not yet! ANYWAY, we are way excited. I will write more about it as opening night draws near!

Comments