Tamari Vocal Recital Series: Bobby McGee

This song is more about 'feeling' than 'technique'. It took me a while to get that and I am still working on the idea of when you sing certain genres, especially rock/blues you have to allow yourself to become more of an instrument with the band and not a lead singer out in front of the band. I am very structured and quite a perfectionist when it comes to singing so I struggled while rehearsing this song. I wanted to get all the notes "just so". Roger (my husband) could hear that struggle and came in the room and said something along the lines of ' you have to sing this with SOUL. Don't worry about the correctness of the song. Listen to Janis Joplin or Jack White or any of these artists who just pore their hearts and souls into each song. You have to just give in and feel it!' Once I tried that approach it all came together much better. I know I still have a long way to go in this genre, but it is one of my favorites to listen to as well as sing and I would LOVE to be able to do a recital or concert of just songs like this gem and ROCK THE HOUSE! So, here is my rendition of Janis Joplin's classic, Bobby McGee...

Bobby McGee

Comments