Tamari Vocal Recital Series: Maybe This Time

"That's all folks"! This is the last song I am going to post from this vocal recital. It is the song I am most proud of. Maybe This Time from Cabaret written by Kander and Ebb is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite shows. This song was not in the original production of the play but written for the movie. Bob Fosse, the director of the film did not like this song when he first heard it. He thought it was too depressing. Liza Minnelli who played the role of Sally Bowles in the film, asked him if she could sing it for him the way she interpreted the meaning of the song. Her rendition was filled with hope and longing. Bob loved it and it made it into the film and the latest revival of the play directed by Sam Mendes. I love the idea that Liza had of taking a song that could be a real 'downer' and adding the opposite subtext. I try and hold true to her interpretation...

Maybe This Time

Comments