Vocal Recital 2011: Poker Face

Here is my third installment from my recent vocal recital. I heard this version of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" on an episode of Glee. I thought it was an amazing and innovative arrangement of the hit pop song. It was done as a duet on the show, but I think it works just as well as a solo. This turned out to be one of the most fun songs I have ever sung. It bounces around and is very playful.

It was hard for me at first to not try and find an "interpretation" of the song. Being an actress and having a strong musical theater background I wanted to find subtext in the song and give it a back story. But after Roger watched me perform the song this way he thought it didn't work and was too confusing. It wasn't written as a musical theater piece although this arrangement is very much in that style. I decided just to "sing" the song, not giving it any deeper meaning. I think it worked. The end product feels like an adult pop song from the 60's...something you would see Sinatra, Bobby Darin or Dean Martin pull off. Just a song that is quirky and has a catchy tune, but is not an "acting" or emotional piece.

Comments

Post a Comment