Working in the "Real World" While Teaching

Now that I am teaching, I often think of that old saying by H.L. Mencken, "Those who can - do. Those who can't - teach." And in the pit of my gut I resent this quote...at least for myself. I want to continue to perform even though I have started to teach. I refuse to retire from the stage just yet and when I do it will be when I decide to do so and not determined by public opinion. (I still have my sights on playing one of the leads in Arsenic and Old Lace, so ya, I won't be hanging up my 'toe shoes' just yet.)

I feel it is important for me as a vocal teacher to stay current and know what it is like to be a working actor. The environment of performing on stage or in a recording studio is much more charged and heightened than when one is singing in a relaxed environment of their own living room, shower, or studio of their vocal coach. Nerves, adrenaline, heavy costumes, outdoor theaters, indoor theaters....the list goes on as to the situations and stresses the body, mind and voice must go through during a performance.

I want to be an example to my students. I want to inspire them. On a business side, being in shows can be good for the business and give a teacher exposure. Many seeing the show might like the performance and want to take lessons. I also love to perform and as I get older I realize more and more how precious that time on stage is to me. It will always be one of the great loves of my life.

One of the downsides to being in a show is scheduling lessons. Most young students take lessons after school and that is a tough time for a mother let alone if I am in a show. Things may get a bit complicated but I will do the best I can to accommodate my schedule and theirs. I believe in keeping my toes wet as a performer. I want to be the teacher who "can" for as long as I am able.

Comments