Structure and Adaptability

Day 2 and 3 of the SLS Event I have been attending have been amazing...overwhelming, but amazing. I have so much in my head right now I feel like I am going to burst! It will take some time to process everything, but I have learned so much and have enjoyed getting to know fellow teachers and students. What I love about this process is that it is interactive. We aren't just sitting through a bunch of lectures we are taking part in hands on demonstrations. Very affective.

There is a lot of material that we have covered but the main one I want to point out is that the Speech Level Singing Method itself is very structured. (even more now than it was two years ago) In recent years SLS has gone global and the top teachers in the program have broken it down and are actually branding it so that no matter where you go in the world to take a lesson the structure and language will be the same. It will be a short hand for teachers and students so that when we say a term it will automatically be understood.

The greatest part though is that within that structure there is a tremendous amount of give & take and adaptability. It is like watching a tennis match as a student and teacher work together. There are all these tools at our fingertips that address any issue(s) a voice may have. It is wonderful as a teacher to have the freedom within the structure to use these tools and allow the student to experience again and again what it is they need to achieve balance and maintain balance in their voice.

Comments