Songs I Love to Sing: Happy Working Song

I want to start a little series on this blog called "Songs I Love to Sing". It will include songs from past recitals, or that I record on the spot in my own studio, that bring me pure joy when I sing them. The first one to kick off this series is Happy Working Song, from the movie Enchanted. My vocal coach, Brodie Perry, introduced this song to me and it was (and still is) such a blast to sing! It was a break through song for me because I was able to learn how to manipulate my voice through my first bridge with it sounding seamless. This song is a bit like doing vocal acrobatics for me as I go from chest up into my mix and back down again very quickly. The placement helps. I chose to go with a more forward sound. I wanted the essence of a traditional Disney Princess, but I like to think I bring an edge and a touch of sarcasm to the performance as well. Not taking the Disney Princess thing too seriously, but having fun with it. This was recorded in the fall of 2010. It is great to revisit some older recordings and see how far I have come. Most performers don't like to see/hear themselves in a recording but I like to think of it as not only archive material, but a chance to learn from what I hear and see. Like an athlete, I will watch and see what I did well and what I can improve upon. Enjoy!!

Comments