Songs I Love To Sing: You Can't Get a Man With a Gun

This song is a blast from the past! I did this production of Annie Get Your Gun the summer of 2009. The challenge with songs from this show are the amount of verses that are meant to be sung over and over. Our director cut some verses to ease the monotony, but most of the songs were left in tact. I am always one for finding levels and variety in a performance so I took the song apart and with each verse I endowed it with its' own theme or mini vinette. The song had to progress as a whole however so I made sure that the song in its' entirety had an overall arc. If I kept it honest I had the audience in the palm of my hand. At this point of my vocal journey I was still struggling with the "crackle" in my voice. You will hear it now and again. It made me pretty insecure on stage and I had to fight tremendous nerves. Luckily my co-star was (is) my vocal coach so I could consult with him backstage if I needed. He set up a specific vocal warm up that I would do each night before the show that best suited this role. How convenient is that?! This song was one of my favorites to perform in the show.

Comments