Songs I Love to Sing: Belle

'Tis the Season! I did this production of Beauty and the Beast six years ago during the Christmas Holidays. This play is loved by many. I knew in portraying Belle I had some big shoes to fill and that there were high expectations from the audience. Fortunately we had an exceptionally talented cast and crew and we didn't seem to disappoint once the show started and we could feel the audience right there with us. This was hands down one of my favorite numbers in the show. I always stood behind the door waiting with anticipation and delight to come out on stage. Making that entrance was "magical", no question.

This production was significant for me because it was when I had vocal cord damage and learned that I had acid reflux. The director introduced me to Speech Level Singing and I have been a disciple of this method ever since. As I listen to this performance I can hear how much stronger my voice is now. It makes me happy to know that I have improved instead of digressed, or worse, lost my voice all together. This production also was double cast. Usually I am not a fan of double casting, but being cast with Jillian Brown Durham was sheer delight from beginning to end. I was so grateful for her friendship, professionalism and support. It also helped tremendously to have another person in the role at this time of my poor vocal health. I knew that if I wasn't able to do the show she was right there to step in. It helped with my sense of confidence and security.

Click the word "BELLE" below and enjoy the song!

BELLE


Comments