Challenge: Putting It Together

As I get ready for my recital I am finding the challenge of being able to play the guitar well and sing well at the same time. The artists that I admire make it look so easy that I thought it would be easy. And I know it will get easier and more natural with time, but initially, it can be frustrating. I don't want to lose the integrity of the vocals as I focus on hitting all the right chords and strums on the guitar. The songs I have chosen to play are fairly easy so I know with practice it will all work out.

The other factor is getting too nervous in front of an audience when I put the two elements together. I will try and play for my family and close friends as I go so I won't be so nervous for the final performance. The trick is to get "out of my head". When I play piano scales for my students I find that I mess up the scale when I am thinking about the scale, if I just allow my hands to do the pattern and trust that they will do what they will and I mainly focus on the student, I mess up less or not at all. The same thing will apply to the guitar and vocal performance if I just allow myself to learn it and then forget it. When the performance comes I need to focus on the more visceral experience and let everything else go. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I am up for the challenge.

I can't let this post end without showing you one of the "greats" when it comes to joining the guitar and vocals as a perfect pairing. Miss Bonnie Raitt....enjoy!


Comments