The Perfect Alignment

Yesterday's Post focused on the idea that anything we create in life is valuable as long as it comes truthfully from us. Even if it has been done before, like a song or a role in a play/movie, it still has validity. And I still hold that to be true. But, I can't help but think that there are times when the stars align and we get to witness the perfect union of an artist with certain material. The performance is so aligned that those that play the part afterward or cover the song are always compared to that "one" performance, or it may seem that no one can come close to doing it as well...EVER.

I would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section, but for me, I can think of a few performances that fall into this category. Now, before I share this, please keep in mind that other artists have and do perform these roles I am about to list today and do such an amazing job. I hope you understand that I do not discount their performance, but the list below falls into a category of that perfect alignment, where it is hard to top and hard to forget.

My List (in no particular order):

Mandy Patinkin (George) and Bernadette Peters (Dot) in Sunday in The Park with George

Judy Garland (Dorothy) in the Wizard of Oz

Donald O'Conner (Cosmo Brown) and Gene Kelly (Don Lockwood) in Singing in the Rain

Barbra Streisand (Fanny Brice) in Funny Girl

Julie Andrews (Maria Von Trapp) in The Sound of Music

Do you agree with this list? Who is on your list?

Comments

  1. So, after a discussion with my husband, I have some more to add: Robert Preston in The Music Man, George Hearn and Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd, Bebe Neuwirth in Chicago (broadway), Sutton Foster in Millie (broadway) and I just adore Richard Harris as King Arthur in Camelot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Those are all good ones! My list would include: Colm Wilkinson as Valjean in Les Mis, Glen Close as Albert Nobbs in Albert Nobbs, Steve Balsamo as Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar and no one will ever out do kd lang's performance of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" at the Canadian Olympics...not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment