Teaching at Utah Children's Theatre

I just ended my first semester teaching at Utah Children's Theatre and can I just say, I love teaching! I work with some amazing co-workers (I am looking at you Jana Cox) and the students...ranging in age from 4 years old to adults. I look forward to going to work and exploring the world that I love almost as much as my family: the theater! Seeing this wonderful art form through the eyes of children is a special treat. Well, let's admit it, anything seen through children's eyes is a gift.

Theater is a bonding experience and a process. At first in most of my younger classes I focused mostly on discipline and concentration. And it can be frustrating at times to have so much to get through on the syllabus and you spend half of the time telling children to be quiet and keep their hands to themselves. Then something wonderful happens, the children start to love you and trust you and in turn you have grown to love them. You know all their names, basic interests and personalities. The class falls into a rhythm and they know what to expect and what is expected of them. The tides turn, and realizations start to happen. Their sweet little minds catch on when deciphering a simple stage direction or what you mean when you say, "project your voice!" or "cheat out!".

With the very little ones we work on imaginary play and helping them to focus all that energy. In a world of technology, some of these kids have a hard time with imaginary play at first. But, they catch on real quick and end up being the leader in many improvisational games. The older kids are ready for a challenge. They are so smart and I was amazed at how they handled some demanding material I threw at them. By the time the recital came they were memorized, focused and so proud to show their family and friends what they had been working on.

My adult class is my most challenging to prepare for. I feel so many of my students could teach the class themselves. What could I teach them that they don't already know? The funny thing is, what adults need most is reassurance. Confidence is a big issue. I try and make it a safe place they can come and try out new material for an audition. We work a lot on relaxation and are focusing on different approaches to the material so they can use what works best for them as an individual. Of course, scene work and improvisation is fun. I love to see what they come up with. I laugh a lot in this class. Schedules can be crazy, and sometimes our numbers are few, but, I fly with it and adjust where I need to.

I look forward to next semester. I mostly teach straight acting classes but next semester will be co-teaching a musical theater class. I helped out a lot with that class this semester and felt right in my comfort zone. I love musical theater. Anyway, I have learned so much and enjoy helping people discover their talents, their confidence and see the "theater bug" being caught all around me. It is hard to find a cure once you inherit the bug. ;-)

Comments