I Am One Who Must Give Light

~ "What is to Give Light Must Endure Burning" - Viktor Frankl

I have been pondering this quote in recent weeks. I feel that I am one who must give light. I love doing things for other people. I feel full of peace and goodness when I am serving and finding ways to serve. My favorite way to give light is performing on stage. I believe with all my heart that it is an act of service when one shares their talents. I know it can uplift and transform people when they see a performer and it resonates with them. I know this because I have been in the audience and have had life changing experiences while attending a musical, ballet, play, or concert. I am also deeply moved and inspired when I see a certain work of art or a building that has been achieved by a master architect. I know first hand how art can go about spreading tremendous joy to people. So, when I am given the chance to be the one that could possibly inspire and bring that kind of joy, I put my whole heart into it.

Now if we look at the second part of that phrase, "must endure burning", that's where it starts to get interesting. I find that when I fail at learning a new skill or when I face rejection and don't get cast in something. It can be frustrating. It can hurt. It can be confusing. I have felt all of those emotions and many more as I struggle to navigate the 'behind the scenes' of performing. It takes a tremendous amount of work and tenacity to succeed. I learned early on that I had to practice my skills as much as I was able. But, what motivated me to practice more than anything else was seeing other performers at an audition or on stage giving their light. One can learn much from observing. I got cast in the chorus of my first show at age 10. I wanted so badly to have gotten a speaking role. So, I was determined to observe the ones that got the speaking parts, soak everything in, and apply what I had learned.

If we use those times of disappointments to learn, take stock, practice more steadily, set goals, and push ourselves in the areas where we need improvement, we grow. We become more polished, poised, and confident. We will all go through difficult times. Times of failure. Times of injury. Times of sadness and frustration. ALL of us will. And when we do, we can decide if we are going to pick ourselves up and continue on that same path, choose a different path, or just give up. The choice can be daunting at times, especially when we are knocked down time and time again. For me, I may sit and wallow for a season, but then I get myself right back into the ring and battle for the chance to burn bright. I think just the thought of the opportunity is worth fighting for. And statistically, the more times one tries, there is a greater probability that they will succeed.

I am one who must give light. I will endure the burning to give that light.

Comments