Songs I Love to Sing: I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart

I am just starting out with guitar. I have been playing over the past few years, but not really digging in and becoming good at it. This song gave me the opportunity to practice AND have a great time while doing it. I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart, was a song I heard during a Prairie Home Companion live concert that we attended. You know how Garrison Keillor always has the most amazing musicians on his show? Well, his guest sang this song and I was smitten by it. I came home and got to work.

There are a couple elements to this song that make it both complex and enjoyable. The first is being able to play and sing at the same time. This takes on a whole other skill set than I am used to. It brought me a new appreciation for artists who do this and make it look effortless. You can probably see the concentration in my eyes at the very beginning when I am just playing the guitar getting ready to sing. haha It is like rubbing your stomach and patting your head. That was a unique challenge for me and I know that with more practice it will become second nature. The second element is yodeling. Again, not something I am totally proficient with, but I think it is an amusing skill to develop. I learned to yodel on a couple Patsy Cline songs I have covered, Lovesick Blues and Blue Moon of Kentucky. So, it was fun to step it up and do a more complex yodel combination on this song.

I love learning new skills. I love to challenge myself. This song brought both those things together and made the end result most enjoyable. I still have a long way to go, but if I keep it up it will be pleasing to look back on this in a few years and see my progress. Enjoy!

Comments