Why "Sleeping Beauty's Dream" Matters

I have been involved with Sleeping Beauty's Dream for well over a year now. I did the reading last year and now am a part of the production being staged by the Sting & Honey Company at the Waterford School Black Box. This particular piece of theater has resonated with me from the first time I read it. First, I was grateful for the rich, powerful, intelligent roles that were written for women. Second, I was touched by the way in which it wasn't a preachy, platform piece, but a multi-layered text that when read over and over again something new emerges that I could take with me depending on where I was mentally or spiritually in my life. Thirdly, the male roles were equally varied, textured and strong. And fourth I am a HUGE fan of clowning, particularly the 'heart clown' variety and this play has one of those as well. Simple, hilarious, and most lovable.

My daughter and two sons saw the show tonight and I am happy as their mother to have them view a show that is full of truth, beauty, and wisdom. A play where women fight on the battlefield with the men. Where equality isn't preached, it just...is. My daughter will see a princess who at times does not need a man to save her and at times when she does. My sons will see a prince who sacrifices his own pride and desire to allow the princess he loves her own happiness. My daughter will see a dark goddess destroyed by her own jealousy and learn that to forgive is more powerful than revenge. My sons will see a boastful prince turn into a warrior with a new purpose as he becomes willing to fight, to the death if necessary, to allow his country to have the freedoms it deserves. My children will see that within each person there is potential for greatness. My children will see a mother and father endure patience and suffering on a whole new level, just so they can be with their daughter. I know they will laugh at the clown in all his honest and uncomplicated humor. I know they will feel the sorrow and hope that may come from a haunting lullaby and a scene on the battlefield.
This play matters. In a time of unrest, uncertainty and discrimination. This beautiful piece of theater allows adults and children alike to sit in a darkened theater and take in what it means to love, sacrifice, and what is worth fighting for. There is a time to rescue and a time to be rescued. There is a place for all, even if you are simple, or boastful, or beautiful, or old, or young. There are times when there will be sadness and fear followed by times of feasting and laughter. Life in all its facets...time passing too quickly, youth turning to wisdom, and dreams becoming a reality. It's magical, yet applicable. Come see this play, take it in, and then go forward being better for it.

Comments