The Inside Looking Out

I saw my first production at Pioneer Theatre in Salt Lake City, 6 years ago...there I was in a darkened theater looking from the outside in. I kept coming back to see shows and knowing that I had to perform on this stage. I learned that it was a huge commitment with day-time rehearsals and professional protocol. As the years passed I cheered for my friends in the shows, and I cheered for members of my family in the shows (both Roger and Ivy worked here before I was cast). I took it all in stride because I knew eventually it was going to happen. I would close my eyes sometimes as an audience member and picture myself on that stage. I knew it just had to be the right fit, the right timing. For the 2015-16 season I was in a position to audition. With my family life able to handle the demanding schedule I auditioned for three shows...nothing. Karen Azenberg, the artistic director, kept encouraging me to come back and I did. I would show up, prepared and ready to show her what I could do. And then...it happened on my fourth audition. It was for the first show of the 2016-17 season, my look/age was right, my voice was right....it all fell into place. I took this photo looking from the stage on opening night, September 16, 2016. I was now on the inside looking out. There I stood anticipating my premier performance on the Pioneer Theatre stage in The Last Ship. It has all been pretty magical for me. Every night when I get to the theater I remember to breath it all in and never take it for granted. I am blessed and full of gratitude. Even at the age of 44 I still have dreams...and sometimes those dreams come true.

Comments