De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

 After reading the title of this blog post you have that song stuck in your head now don't you? Haha! 


I grew up watching Sting on MTV and VH1. (When those stations actually played music videos.) The Police and Sting's music were a big part of the soundtrack of my life in college. You could say I was a fan. When we moved to New Jersey and frequented Manhattan we would see celebrities walking around or at a theater function and I got used to the idea that they are just people, doing their job that just happens to be in the public's eye. So, when I found out that Sting was going to come see our production of The Last Ship I was pretty chill. (for those that don't know, he wrote the music and lyrics for the show) There was no real pressure for me as an ensemble member and a local. I am not going to be considered for some tour or West End revival. He won't be focusing on me for the duration of the show. Let me just do what I do and enjoy this exciting journey with the cast and crew. 

And it was just that, "an exciting journey". The electricity in the air was tangible and everyone desired to be at the top of their game. This was Sting's baby. He put years of  dedication into this musical and we, being the only theater since the Broadway production to do the show, wanted it to be a special night. We wanted to tell him "our story" of Wallsend and these incredible people that existed in its' world. By the end of the night we were all emotional and adrenaline was running high. Karen Azenberg, our Director and the Artistic Director of Pioneer Theatre, came out on stage after bows and invited Sting to come up to the stage. 

 And from out of the audience he came and there he was. Taller than I thought he would be and very slight in build. He was calm, gracious and witty. He put everyone at ease and I could tell that he was used to his fame, comfortable with it. He wore it like an old pair of leather boots.

After we got out of costume we took some backstage photos with him for the press. He was making jokes and again putting everyone at ease. He seemed touched by the performance and our willingness as a cast to put our full hearts into his show. 



The after party was at a benefactors home and knowing that he was only going to stay an hour or two I knew that if I wanted a photo with him that I had to be bold. It is hard for me to "smooze", as they say. I am the more observant type, but I thought, "How often does one get to meet a musician of his caliber and fame that has meant so much?" I don't need an autograph or a sweaty scarf, I just want a photo that preserves the moment that our paths crossed. That is all. With the help of a fellow cast mate, Anne, who is much bolder and outgoing than I, the moment in time I wanted captured was realized in the above shot. I got to thank him for his music and he was charming and the next thing I know he is calling over the actresses in the cast for a group photo.


He makes some joke that made us all laugh...

Then he smiles that smug smile, chats with us, and it started to feel like he was a part of the cast. It. Was. Perfect.

He wrote this sweet email the following day to our cast and crew. I thought it was pretty cool that amidst his crazy, busy schedule he found the time to come see our play and then write a little note in appreciation. No matter what I hear about Sting from this point on, I will always consider him a class act.

 It is a strange thing having a person that has appeared on TV, Movies, and Album Covers walk into a room. Their face is so familiar, and with musicians like Sting this familiarity is heightened because of his musical legacy. You feel like you know them, but you don't. Not really. You only have that first impression and it can either be a great experience or an awful one. This turned out to be a great one. And a beautiful reminder of how to treat people no matter your status in life and no matter how much time you spend with them. Be calm, keep it real, and always be kind. Thanks, Sting! 

Comments