My "Best Of" List 2016

I wanted to highlight some very special vocal performances that were brought to my attention in 2016. I hope you can take the time to enjoy these clips for the first time or for a second or third view (they are that good). Here we go:

LAURA BENANTI


A few months ago they live streamed 'She Loves Me' and I got to see, once again, one of my favorite Broadway leading ladies, Laura Benanti. This was such a magical production. That set! Holy cow! And other charming performances from her cast mates, Zachary Levi, Jane Krakowski, and Gavin Creel. I have a special place in my heart for Miss Benanti. When we lived in New Jersey I got to see her in a workshop of a show I can't remember now, but I remember her, and then to see her Broadway career take off. She is such a joy on stage with her charisma, comic timing, and that voice! I just adore her.

JESSIE MUELLER

Unfortunately, I have not seen Miss Mueller on stage, only through clips on YouTube. I love her ability to connect to the material. She is emotionally driven. I love this rehearsal performance more than any other clip I have seen. She is completely in the moment and it is breathtaking.

CYNTHIA ERIVO

Cynthia is one of two Brits that made my list. Watch out America, the British are starting to catch on to how musical theater is done! This clip is not from her Tony winning performance in A Color Purple, but from the Miscast Gala this year at MCC Theater. This is one of my favorite songs and she takes it, runs with it and makes it into a brilliant piece of art.

IMELDA STAUNTON

I saw a clip of Imelda Staunton singing Rose's Turn at the beginning of this year, but it has since been removed from YouTube. This video shows clips of her singing three of the songs from the show, so you get the idea of how perfect she is. This production, performed in 2015 in the West End, was streamed on PBS just a couple months ago. Look for it, if it airs again...watch it! It is supposed to make its' way to Broadway in 2018 last I heard. Let's keep our fingers crossed for that. I love this powerhouse of a woman and just when I think she can't any more magnificent she proves me wrong.

That is my list for 2016! I hope you enjoyed watching these clips. Let me know if you see any performances that catch your attention and pass them along. My husband is great at that and turned me on to Morgan James a few years back who sings regularly on Postmodern Jukebox. I just love her and present her 2016 performance of Dream On for your bonus clip. Enjoy!!

MORGAN JAMES

Comments