Using a Teleprompter...Is it as Easy as It Seems?

This is me on a recent commercial shoot. You can't really see it, but I am reading a teleprompter for this project. I will never forget the first time I was called out to audition using a teleprompter. I wanted to book the commercial so I said that I was comfortable using a teleprompter, when in fact, I had never used one before. But, I don't consider it a flat out lie, they asked if I was "comfortable" not had I used one before. I am a smart individual and even with some trepidation I knew I could figure it out quickly. And the audition went just fine. I didn't book the gig, but the great part? I could now say that I had teleprompter experience...haha!

We all have to start somewhere right? Whether it be in a classroom setting or on the job training. With my family life my top priority right now, I often don't have the time or the means to take classes so most of my film training has been on the job. It helps that I have had theater training with voice, concentration, and storytelling being a big part of that. With a teleprompter you need to sound spontaneous and in the moment but, obviously you have not internalized the material so it is still a skill that takes practice. I think basic things like reading text out loud can be great a exercise. 

A teleprompter will also have an adjustable speed and it is normal for the director to pick a speed and then have to adjust it according to the pace of the project. It has its benefits too. On the day of this shoot I had four pages of dialogue we were filming. When the client came in they liked what I was doing and asked if I could do a couple more pages on the spot. It would have taken me an hour or more to memorize the material. With a teleprompter, that isn't even an issue. It saves time, money, and relieves the stress of getting it word perfect from memory.

There were still retakes that needed to be done if I stuttered over a word, and sometimes I needed to give my brain and mouth a break for a few minutes, but all in all it is a great way to shoot a lot of information in a short period of time. Another interesting thing along these lines is that there were some typos in the text and for the life of me, it was hard to correct them on the spot. I tried and then I had to say something. With technology today (most teleprompters are on tablets now) they can just go in and correct the typo within minutes. 

Along with the whole looking spontaneous thing, I remember as a kid watching commercials where I could tell someone was reading a cue card because there eyes would move slightly from side to side. With teleprompter technology today, you don't get that as much. The screens that we read from are much smaller and the eye doesn't have far to travel from side to side. It is pretty cool. 

So, the takeaway? Using a teleprompter is efficient, but I wouldn't say it is "easy". It still takes a tremendous amount of concentration, vocal technique, and spontaneous story telling ability. Some people have a real knack for it and others don't. I know I have much to improve upon in this area, but I still go in with confidence and make the most of my time, learning, and growing in this area. So, don't be afraid when they want you to read from a teleprompter for an audition. Just plunge in and do your best. It could be the beginning of a prosperous career. One never knows...

Comments