Sense and Sensibility: Heightened Language and Dialect

This summer I was privileged to perform the roles of Mrs. Dashwood and Mrs. Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility at the Lyric Repertory Company in Logan, UT. (pictured with Kelly Rogers, Morgen Kerian)
A few of the cast members, like me, performed two different roles in the play and it was an added challenge to differentiate the characters. (pictured with Madison Kisst)
 The Director, JR Sullivan, also adapted the play with Joseph Hanreddy. JR had detailed insight into Jane Austen, the time period, and this particular work. His direction was seamless as the play flowed from scene to scene. With the assistance of Stephanie White, we started to inhabit this world, mind, body, and spirit.
The costumes, by Nancy Hills, helped us differentiate the characters, but we also had to rely on body posture and voice diversity. 
Adrianne Moore was our dialect coach and helped me find the pitch, intonation, and vowel choices for each of my characters. It felt like a collaboration with her as we found what worked and what didn't. Eventually getting to a place where I think we succeeded in helping the audience know we were playing a different person. 
Dennis Hassan's set helped with the fluidity of the play and those lights! (Bruce Duerden)  It was just a feast for the eyes. (pictured with Mitzi Mecham, Toby Tropper, Kelly Rogers and Morgen Kerian)
Within the direction of this play, there was a spontaneity about it. Every night was different in a delightful way. I felt so present and yet, at ease. The cast and crew were tremendously supportive and kind. (pictured here with Cameron Neeley, Bailey Smith, Trent Dahlin, Toby Tropper and Mitzi Mecham)
 Oh, my sweet girls. 
What a delight to see these two interact each night and tell this story with such power and grace.
 And here we are with our dear Edward (Mitch Shira)
 Here's Mrs. Ferras. I tried my best to enter the stage with the same "phumf" as Dame Judi Dench. She was always in the back of my mind and I thought, if I can channel even a tenth of what she has, I think we will be okay. (pictured here with Madison Kisst and Matt Mueller)
Our much adored Col. Brandon played by Wyn Moreno. 
 One of the many comedic moments in the show. Mrs. Jennings asleep on Eleanor. 
 The show did well in ticket sales. I think the world, in general, is a fan of Jane Austen.
Our audiences responded boldly to moments like this when Willoughby asks Marianne if she is comfortable. "Quite", she answers. 
I loved this whole experience. It had its challenges with quick scene changes, heightened language, corsets, the fact that it was almost three hours long (it was a bear to tech)...But, it was a delight to work with this cast and crew. (pictured here with Matt Mueller, Madison Kisst, Morgen Kerian, Mitch Shira, KJ Rhodes, Cameron Neeley, and Rachel Banner.) 
**(spoiler alert) The script was beautiful, I had no problem each night becoming overwhelmed with emotion as I was reunited with a recovering Marianne in her bed, supporting Elinor as she dealt with Edward's "marriage", and their inevitable embrace at the end of the play. This show will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Comments

  1. I miss you terribly, Tamari! What a beautiful tribute to our show - it was such a pleasure to act with (and learn from!) you this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment