Live Theater During a Pandemic: Part II "Risk"

When the producers at the Hale Centre Theatre started talking about a remount of Bright Star to its cast and crew, many of us were skeptical. How could we possibly do live theater during a pandemic? It wasn't safe. There is no vaccine. There were no guarantees that we wouldn't get sick. What protocol would be put in place? What procedures and safety measures would be taken? It was stressful just to think about it. We would be navigating completely new waters. Was I willing to put myself at risk? Was it worth it? 

I believe that each person on this earth has their own way of making important decisions in their lives. Those ways may include: going by your "gut", talking it over with a dependable friend or family member, always trusting in the most logical solution, only saying yes to those things you feel passionate about, etc. For me, it is the logical pros and cons list that I weigh out and then I take it to the Lord. I am an individual who believes in a loving Heavenly Father who I bring my decision to and then I receive personal revelation and go with that answer. I have done this since I was a child, and in my 48 years on this earth it has worked well for me. God has never let me down when I include Him in this process. So, I weighed out the pros and cons, I discussed things in depth with my family, and then I prayed about it. My answer was an overwhelming, "yes", I should do the play. I have to admit, I was surprised. Of course, I wanted to do the play, yet there were still so many unknowns...but once I prayed about it, I felt complete peace. I held on to that peace. Even in those times when my anxiety was so great I thought I wouldn't make it through the day, I took a moment to breathe in that peace and just kept moving forward.

My fellow cast and crew all had similar journeys. They each had to make the choice to be a part of this play knowing we were embarking on entirely new territory. I was so impressed with how we came together and worked as this isolated team in our little bubble where there was complete support, love and courage. Many of us made huge sacrifices to be a part of this. There were new cast members that worked tirelessly to learn the show quickly, and the returning cast enveloped them with indistinguishable support, love and courage. We all were on the same page and were dialed in to one another in a way I haven't experienced before. We were facing a lot of opposition outside of our safe space and we heavily relied on each other to endure that. The bottom line is that we all wanted to be there. We were determined to see this show come to fruition on our terms. And all of the sacrifice, hard work and vigilance we knew would be worth it.

How did I know it would be worth it? Because we were taking a huge risk. And in the history of the world nothing great was ever accomplished without risk. But, really we take risks everyday. Whether it be walking, riding a bike, driving a car, flying in an airplane...give me any scenario except a padded room and there is a level of risk involved. The question in the beginning was, "Am I willing to take the risk of being a live performer in the middle of a pandemic?" I wanted this to work and logically it made sense to me because I was a healthy candidate and if there was a safety plan and an adherence to that plan with some wiggle room for trial and error, I would take the risk. Because above anything else I know this to be true: Art is essential. 

Just like a health care professional saves lives physically, art saves souls. It lifts, it nurtures, it inspires, it is cathartic as we laugh, weep and respond in this vast space all together. A community of people for those 2+ hours of the play that are sharing the same energy, air and time. There is nothing on a screen that can reach the heights of a live performance. We may keep telling ourselves that screens are equivalent, but it is not true. Being in a shared space together is more heightened and transcendent. Screens will do for a time, but ultimately there will be a tipping point, and we will have to fill the void and go back to live theater. But in the meantime, the majority hasn't quite made up their mind as to when that will be. I have even heard some people say, "It will never be again!" To that I say, "NO! It must be!" And I want to figure out how. I am willing to take the risk but not recklessly, it will be with necessary caution. Because as far as I understand it, even when a vaccine is produced, the virus will not be eradicated. We still have to respect it. We still have to manage it. And if I can be a part of the solution I am willing to do that for my art.

Comments